Don’t leave food cooking unattended. Pay special attention to hot grease or oil. Always supervise children. Keep a fire extinguisher nearby, and make sure it shows “A, B, C.” Never use water on a grease fire! Salt or baking soda can also be used to extinguish a fire; or, smother a fire in a pan by putting a lid on it. Make sure all outside antennas are properly grounded. Install lightning rods to reduce the possibility of fire by a lightning strike. Be sure that your home’s wiring is updated and adequate to handle electrical loads. Don’t overload circuits. Breakers trip and fuses blow when overloaded. If you have an older heating system, get it checked by a professional for safety.